The vision of The Arc’s Assistive Technology (AT) Services is to enhance opportunities for people to improve their lives through the use of technology with increased awareness, access, and support. AT Services collaborates with staff from all divisions to support individuals in the acquisition and use of AT when appropriate. AT means any item, piece of equipment, or product system, whether acquired commercially, modified, or customized, that is used to increase, maintain, or improve functional capabilities of participants which may also support increased community inclusion.
- Communication (ex. speech generating devices)
- Computer Access (ex. speech to text software, large print keyboard)
- Eating (ex. big grip spoon, suction base plate)
- Environmental Control (ex. switches)
- Hearing (ex. assistive listening device, bed shaking alarm clock, flashing doorbell)
- Home Safety (ex. stove shutoff device, bed shaking smoke detector)
- Memory/Cognition (ex. task prompting apps, reminder systems)
- Phone (ex. picture phone, big button phone)
- Recreation (ex. talking book player, big button iPod remote)
- Vision (ex. magnifiers, talking watch)
AT services are available to both adults and children with intellectual and developmental disabilities. An interested individual can access:
- Setup / Training
AT Guides for Individuals and Their Team
The purpose of this packet is to guide teams through the assistive technology process. The Arc Baltimore’s Assistive Technology (AT) Department is here to support individuals and their teams in making AT decisions and acquiring needed services and devices to help people achieve their goals. Please consult with the AT Department for support as you work through this process. Any form mentioned in the Guide can be accessed in the Appendix below.
Webinar: Planning for and Using Technology Across a Lifespan
Our Director of Assistive Technology and Information Systems Daphni Steffin led a webinar entitled “Planning for and Using Technology Across a Lifespan” along with representatives from The Arc US. You can access the powerpoint slides and the webinar recording below.