2021 GENERAL ASSEMBLY
This year’s General Assembly session runs from January 13th to April 12th. While the session is largely being conducted on a remote basis, the Developmental Disabilities agenda is broad.
The Governor’s Proposed FY22 Budget
Community Services Proposed FY 2022 Budget = $1,487,820,229
Summary: The DDA budget increased by $8.4% over the current year due the provider rate increase and the cost of new expansion planned for FY 2022 as well as the annualization of the previous year’s expansion cost.
- 3,022,306 for Transitioning Youth – Projected to support 600 people.
- $2,367,028 for Emergency Placements – Projected to support 39 people in Residential, Day, Supported Employment, Personal Services, and Individual Support Services (6 months average).
- $13,724,943 for Waiting List - Projected to support 296 people in Residential, Day, Supported Employment, Self-Directed, Personal, and Individual Support Services (6 to 8 months avg).
- $4,064,400 for DSS age outs – Projected to support 21 people aging out of DSS.
- Includes $51.2 million for continuation of 4.0% provider rate increase implemented on January 1, 2021.
- Continued funding to support people enrolled in Community Support and Family Support Waiver.
Developmental Disabilities Day at the Legislature
This year’s DD Day drew over 550 people to the morning briefing on Zoom with many legislators in attendance and video greetings from Governor Hogan, Senate President Bill Ferguson, and House Speaker Adrianne Jones. Department of Disabilities Secretary Carol Beatty welcomed advocates for the first ever online DD Day, and Senator Guy Guzzone, the chair of the Budget & Tax Committee, expressed his thanks to the DD community for its continued advocacy and service.
Meetings of advocates and legislators followed over the rest of the day and through the week. See the summaries of some of the bills discussed.
Changing Facilities Fact Sheet
Children and Family Fact Sheet
DDA Proposed Budget FY22
DSP Briefing Sheet LH
Financial Exploitation Fact Sheet
RELIEF Act of 2021 Briefing Sheet Text Only
Voting Fact Sheet
The Arc Maryland Bill Tracker
The Arc Baltimore participates in The Arc Maryland Governmental Affairs Committee which meets weekly throughout the legislative session. They offer a weekly bill tracker that provides summaries of many DD relevant bills along with The Arc MD position and bill status.
Subscribe to The Arc MD’s Annapolis Insider and receive the Bill Tracker here.
Advocacy Network Communications
We encourage you to sign up for updates and action alerts through our Advocacy Network.
Learning Your Way Around The Process
The State of Maryland provides great materials to help people who are new to the system. We recommend some of these references.